Meet The Juki Girl

I often get asked How I began as the Juki Girl.  My answer is well…I am not totally sure.

My first experience in sewing was Garments.  I used to actually sew for not just myself but do commission work for other people.

Prior to working for Juki I owned my business called Karen Pharr Studios.  As an Author, Designer and Teacher I traveled the country working quilt shows and teaching.  I taught machine quilting, fabric painting ( I even had my own fabric paint line)  Piecing, hand embroidery and applique.

Yes…this may sound a bit like a fairy tale.  One day someone asked me to try the Juki F400.  Take it home give it a real try.  I was going to be teaching in a Juki room.  I took the machine home and well…I fell in love.   I had of course like many of us sewn on a lot of different brands but there was something about this machine that was different.  It sewed with such ease,  went through seams with no hesitation.  LOL, I later learned all about the box feed system and what a difference it makes.

A few months later I received an email that Juki was looking for an educator and would I possibly know anyone.  I guess the rest is History.

411 Comments Add yours

1. Josephine Gonzales says:

Hello
    I have a brand new Juki 2010Q and have a problem with the fabric bunching up while piecing. THe stitches are fine, but I need to tug on the back of the fabric as it is being drawn through the machine to straighten it out. It seems as though the fabric threads are being caught. I have tried adjusting the presser foot tension, but so far nothing works.
    Thank you.

1. Can you tell me where you have your presser foot pressure set?

1. Josephine Gonzales says:

I have the presser foot pressure right at the top (lowest). I forgot to say that this occurs with the compensating foot, not with the regular foot. Thanks again.

2. For your Compensating foot the presser foot pressure should be set at about 2 notches from the bottom.

3. Josephine Gonzales says:

Okay thank you – i will try that tomorrow.

2. Charlene says:

I have aTL2200QVP sit down machine and
    I was wondering if there is a specific ruler
    foot for this machine?

1. Hi Charlene,
      The foot that came with your machine is your foot to use for ruler work.

1. Charlene says:

Oh ok thank you!

3. Athena says:

Hello I just turned on my juki quilt virtuoso pro TL-2200QVP everything looks find but my display is not lit up and I can’t sew? OMG. I hope you can help me

1. Athena,
      Please double check your connections from the stitch box to the LCD screen. If you continue to have issue contact the grace frame company at
      800-264-0644

4. Rhonda Hull says:

Hi! I have a Juki HZL-F600 and there is a strange noise coming from the bobbin case area. It is not constant. For example, I was sewing a quilt seam that is 71 inches long. The machine sounded fine until about 1/3 of the way through the seam. Then it starts making this odd sound sporadically, and eventually increases to a pretty consistent sound. It sounds like the bobbin is spinning at high speed against the bobbin case cover, but it isn’t. I have taken the bobbin case out, cleaned it and I have changed my needle. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your help!

Thank you.

1. Rhonda,
      I would recommend have your local dealer check your machine.

5. Cindy Swoveland says:

I am new to Free motion quilting. I have a TL2010Q that I bought last August. I bought the Juki open toe FMQ foot and the Juki ruler foot. I am using Organ 90/14 needles and Aurifil 50wt thread. I set the speed to about 1/3 up from the tortoise. I have the tension at 2, which is what it arrived set at. I put the pressure knob all the way to the top. Initially, I managed to meander without difficulty. I tried both with the feed dogs down and up and up worked better, so I have left them up.I also did curved lines using the ruler foot and a ruler and just with the ruler foot. I had a bit of thread breakage with the leafy meander design but when I oiled the machine that cleared up. Then I did dot to dot with ruler foot and ruler and had skipping and breaking thread. I cleaned out the bobbin area from top and bottom and re-oiled and everything went well. Next day, with the very same settings, I tried to do some about 9 1/2″ long wavy lines. The needle broke on the first line. Cleaned out the bobbin area to make sure no fragments of needle or thread were in it, new needle, rethreaded and began again – got a line and a half, thread broke. Rethreaded again. Another line and a half and another thread break. I am beyond frustrated. I bought this machine specifically for quilting. I have no local dealer so am turning to you for help. What am I doing wrong? I am actually afraid to try FMQ on a real quilt after this. The straight stitch is just perfect and the walking foot quilting is too. But the FMQ gives me totally inconsistent results.

1. Hi Cindy,
      First for Free Motion your Feed Dogs should be lowered, especially when doing ruler work. Feed dogs up could cause needle breakage.
      Set your top tension for the Aurafil at 1 1/2. Make sure your presser foot is in the lowered position when adjusting the top tension.
      When setting your ruler foot, raise the foot pressure to the top which it sounds like you have. Next put your needle in the down position and do a final adjustment on the foot screw. Make sure with the needle down you have just a slight space between the foot and your fabric. If it is to tight you can get thread breakage, if it is too high you can get skipped stitches.

1. Maria Tideswell says:

Hi Cindy,

I have a TL-2000Qi and I am having both problems at the same time. Skipped stitches and (shredding) thread breakage. My machine is set up on a Grace (wooden) frame with the Grace speed control. I am confused is it the “needle down” or the “presser foot down” to adjust the height of the ruler foot?

2. Maria,
        to adjust your ruler foot, Move your Foot presser on the Machine to the very top. Next, put the needle in the down position. Now adjust the foot presser with the screw above the spring on the foot, just until you have a slight space between the foot and your quilt.

2. Teri Bock says:

Exactly my problem!! So disappointed that I can’t free motion when that’s what I bought the machine for. Even tried it on a quilting frame with speed regulator and the thread wraps around the needle and breaks. It’s luke it’s not making a complete stitch.

1. Are you running your machine on a Grace Frame? Have you contacted Grace or your dealer in which you made the purchase for assistance?

Thanks,
        Karen

2. Teri Bock says:

Thanks Karen for your reply to my comment. I’m so glad I found this site. I was ready to give up. I was trying a Christina Cameli class on Craftsy tontry free motion quilting but the tensions seemed all off and decided that if my movements were at fault, I’ll put it on my Hinterberg frame (no longer in business). I can’t put a picture on here but I read through all the posts and watched a video you posted. I replaced needle, lowered the main thread tension to 1.5 (yes, 50 wt Aurifil) and found the upper tension was one full rotation too tight. So far, so good. I bought this used and nearest service is 100+ miles away. I’ll take it in anyway next time we go that direction but your advice is working.

6. Sally says:

My
    Juki HZL-G210 makes this awful sound then jams and starts sewing again. When I am able to stop I take the fabric away and it hasn’t even stitch. However I have seen the bobbin make a jump and then popping noises come as it jumps inside

1. Sally,
      I would return to the Dealer and ask for them to check your machine .

1. Sally says:

I figured out it was a bad bobbin

7. Gayle Wayne says:

Hi!
    I am the new owner of Juki 2200QVP sitdown, getting used to the machine. SOmetimes it makes me VERY happy, and sometime, like the past two days, not so much. I have no dealer support (nobody there knows more about this machine than I do except maybe the tech….) and nobody to answer the questions I have. I have searched the Juki site, and there is no support there either. I am trying to buy supplies, and get confusing information from the dealer compared to what you say on your video about bobbins and needles. While I know I will learn to love this machine over time, I am SO frustrated with the total lack of answers anywhere. Can I ask you my questions? If so, here they are:
    1. You say M-class bobbins with no groove. The dealer sells only those with grooves on top and bottom…?
    2. I often use decorative threads for FM quilting. They shred constantly, so I have gone back to my Bernina to FMQ using those threads. I have done all the typical things (new needle – a 134-18, oil, clean, rethread.) Nothing helps. The issue is worse right to left.
    3. Frequently the bobbin thread does not take up after autocutting. I have to pull out bobbin and pull on thread and start over. I have stopped using auto cut altogether. Is there an adjustment somewhere I should be doing?
    4. The size 18 needles are leaving holes that I do not like in my finished work. Yet the dealer says stick with the 18. Is he right?
    I am hoping that if you can’t help me you can point me in the right direction for support. Please come to Southern California and do a training here!!! I will help you for free!!!

1. Gayle,
      What type of decorative threads are you using? You can go to a size 16 needle. I can help you find a contact for Juki Bobbins.

Lets start with these items and work though you list.

8. Sarah says:

Hello! I just got a TL-2010Q and the walking foot makes noise and seems like it very labored or held back – it’s as if the screws connect it to the shank is too big and rubs into the white plastic portion of the walking foot. Any suggestions?

1. Hi Sarah,
      Please contact your dealer in which you purchased the machine, they should check the screw with the walking foot.

9. Norene Blodgett says:

Im having problems with top thread breakage I own a Juki 2200 QVP sit down machine. I have threaded and rethreaded, changed thread, etc. It still is breaking threads after 50-60 stitches seems tight. Any suggestions would be helpful

1. Hi Norene,
      I would loosen my top thread tension. You may also need to loosen the bobbin case tension. Do you own a TOWA guage? You might check with your dealer for the TOWA and instructions for use.

10. Pat says:

How do you change the plate on 2010 from regular plate to the heavy materials plate? There is nothing written anywhere regarding the install process. Thanks

1. Hi Pat,
      Remove the 2 screws from the current plate and put your new plate into position, replace screws and tighten.

11. Alicia says:

Hey Karen, I sent you an email.

12. Mary Klarfeld says:

My juki is about 2 weeks old. So many problems. Right now I cannot get the bobbin in correctly – no click when inserted. The bobbin thread then breaks during stitching. I’ve tried everything.

1. Hi Mary,
      Can you tell me which machine you have

1. Mary Klarfeld says:

I have the Juki 2010. The bobbin thread keeps breaking. I’ve adjusted tensions all over the place. Once the thread breaks I cannot pull the thread up toward the needle. It is a new machine. I’ve contacted Juki — who have yet to contact me — and Sewing Machines Plus who want me to mail it back to see what they can do, shipping on me. This was my biggest worry about buying a machine not from a dealer and I am not in an area with a dealership. I had almost gone for the Bernina 770, but had heard wonderous things about the Juki. The only recourse I have right now is to take it to our local repair guy with high hopes he knows Juki. I cannot believe Juki would send a new machine to a customer without a full inspection.

2. Your Dealer Sewing Machines Plus would be where your warranty is valid or you can have it serviced by a local repair technician.
        Here is a video just so you can double check your threading path.

13. Carol says:

I have a 3+ month old Juke TL 2200 QVP. It is being used as a sit down so I am limited with the screen. When I choose needle down the needle does not always stay down. Recently, I could not see the stitches because of light fabric so I turned off the handlebar lights and the machine would not run. I tried again the next day and it worked. Today I tried it and it did not work so I changed the HDMI cable, which did nothing to remedy the situation. Is there a fix for this issue?

1. Hi Carol,
      If you are having issue with your electronics please contact they Grace Frame company, they will assist you and help trouble shoot any issues you are having.
      800-264-0644

1. Carol says:

Hi. I did just that. They sent a new screen and foot pedal plug in and it’s doind the same thing only worse. So frustrating. I suppose that’s how it has to be but a huge investment to deal with these issues. Ty.

2. Carol,
        Please email our technician Brain at Brian@Juki.com for more assistance.

14. Linda Barajas says:

Hi Karen,
    This is a follow up to my first post ,also today.

Went out and also bought Mettler silk finish cotton. 50 wt. I sewed a bit and it was great then started to skip here and there then stopped skipping. I feel it may be the machine and not the thread. Hope you can offer some advice

1. Hi Linda, sent an email to you.

15. Linda Barajas says:

Hi Karen, I have just bought the Exceed F 600. I love the machine! The only problem is that it will randomly skip a couple of stitches. I have rethreaded, & changed the needle. I went back to sewing center where I purchased it and they said it was my Aurifil thread . I use mako cotton, 50wt. They put their Isacord polyester in the machine and it stopped skipping. I want to use cotton as the polyester does not knot well when top stitching. I want to be sure it is not something that is off with the machine itself. Thank you, Linda

16. Hope cummins says:

Hello, I have a new Juki F300. Have been using it for a week. I’ve noticed that my auto thread cutter doesn’t cut the bobbin thread. It seems to alternate between the changing out the spools. I’m also using the same spool that came with the machine, I just refill it when it’s empty. I have also thoroughly cleaned out the bobbin case and I do use the machine to refill the spool. Other than that, I love this machine. For a beginner quilter like me, it’s great!

1. HI Hope,
      I am going to forward your email to a technician.

17. sherimt says:

I have a Juki 2010Q that I’m using with a Grace Company Frame. My first quilt went OK – just the normal challenges of using a new machine. I’ve just loaded by second quilt (Baby Quilt) and I’ve broken 4 needles, had multiple sections of missed stitches (2 – 3″ long) and can’t figure out what is going wrong. Any ideas? Thanks!

1. Hi, You can pull the machine and check the sewing stitches off the frame. If it is working correctly I would contact the Grace Frame Company to see if there is a set up with the frame causing issues.
      1-800-264-0644

2. sewonchris says:

I TOTALLY understand.I have the same set up. I almost gave up. I switched to Aurifil thread that helped. When I first got my machine I watched the YouTube video that shows how to stop the hopping foot from hopping. I did two quilts that I was constantly skipping stitches, especially when I went backwards. Broken needles, UGH! I went back to the way it’s supposed to work this last quilt and low and behold no more skipped stitches! I researched how a hopping foot works and there is a reason it works the way it does. The foot should be just above the quilt. Make sure your quilt is nearly flat on the machine bed and not dragging and as I rolled I had to move it up higher as the roll got fatter. Moved up to 100/16 needle. Make sure you have your tension loosened all the way to the top. After the first two this last one was actually fun!

18. Mary klarfeld says:

My Juki 2010 is about a week old. I am trying to quilt but the upper thread keeps breaking. I have set the tension high and low but nothing seems to work.

1. Mary,
      Have you rethreaded? sometimes we miss something. I would take out the bobbin and the thread and just for a quick check that everything is correct.
      Set Your top tension on about 1 1/2 on the dial while the presser foot is in the down position.

19. Shirley Covington says:

My 2010q cuts bobbin thread so short I have to use tweezers to pull it out. I’ve worked at both loosening and tightening the sub tension. It does not help but only makes stitch quality worse. How can I correct this?

1. Shirley,
      The thread cutter is designed to cut short so there is no bird nest when picking up the thread up to stitch again. You do not have to pull the thread up to begin stitching again.
      If you wish to have a long tail to pull the thread up, it is best to not engage the thread cutter.

20. Shirley Covington says:

My 2010’s auto cutter cuts the bobbin thread so short I can barely pull it up with tweezers. I’ve adjusted the sub tension both looser and tighter but it does not help. It does change stitch quality. Love my machine but how can I lengthen the bobbin thread when auto cut?

21. Chhun O'Grady says:

I have Juki TL98E love it sew and free motion quilt the stitching is wonderful. It just lately the needle down position is not working right ? Still keeping up and keep running a couple more stitches when I lift my foot off from the foot pale what is the problem? Thank.

1. It Sounds like you may need to take your machine to a local dealer and have it serviced.

22. Brenda Evans says:

I have a problem to solve. I have a Juki TL2200QVP sit down quilter. I also have a 8ft grace continuum frame with a Juki TL2010Q but want to be able to quilt larger area. I want to expand my quilting space and go to a long arm. Its getting harder to move quilt around. And would like to get more creative. But, dealer I have spoken to says conversion kit only comes with 10 ft frame which space wise , I just cant do. The 2ft extension is only to expand to 12 I keep being told. Also told by Grace company only long arms is the Qnique 14+ or 21 to be able to put on continuum… I do love my Juki TL2200QVP… would love to be able to make it a stand up long arm.. But again space limits me.. Any suggestions out there

1. Brenda,
      Sent you an email. please let me know where you live so we can get you in contact with a dealer who can help you move from a sit down to a a 7ft juki frame.

23. Stephanie Barber says:

Hi Karen! How do prewound cardboard bobbins work in the Juki long arm? I am thinking about using Superior Super Bobs with my So Fine or Bottom Line favorite threads. Any issues that you know of?

1. Stephanie,
      I have lots of customers who use the prewounds very successfully.

24. Helen Bugni says:

I have a Juki 2010, 3 years old. I am learning ruler quilting, have the ruler foot and am aware of the tension screw. I am having problems when I reach a corner with butted seams. The have to really pull to get the quilt to move to the next stitch, then stitches are skipped, thread breaks. I am also having problems with thread fraying and breakage if I go too fast. I feel like I am keeping a steady speed albeit slow. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. What thread do you recommend? It is new thread.

1. Helen,
      Are you using the Juki ruler foot for your Machine?
      Can you tell me what type of thread and needle you are using?

1. Helen Bugni says:

Hi, yes I am using the Juki ruler foot. I am using Gutterman thread and Smetz(sp?) top stitching needle, size 80. It is either smooth going, or skipped stitches and thread breakage.

2. Helen
        When doing free motion quilting I use a size 14/90 needle.

25. Christine says:

Hi Karen –

Have a rather new (7 month old)TL2200qvp mini and lowered the feed dogs to practice FMQ and now the feed dog switch is not engaging with or lifting the feed dogs back up. Feels as though I’m missing a step as the machine has worked so well otherwise – suggestions?

1. Christine
      You do have to begin to sew before the feed dogs lift again. If they still do not come up you may need to visit a juki dealer for service.

26. Roxanne McGowan says:

Hi Karen. I have the 2200 long arm machine. Just recently I have been having trouble with my tension. Stitches look good on top but directional flatlining in areas on back. Are these the needles that we can use. 134R. Size 18. And 134 FFG size 16. I have always used the 134R and had good stitches. It’s just recently I am having trouble.

1. Hi Roxanne,
      What thread are you using in needle and bobbin? Are you using a TOWA gauge?

27. Helen Bugni says:

I have a Juki 2010, love it. I am learning to use the Juki ruler foot. First had skipped stitches, adjusted the height of the foot and it helped. Now though, i am running into problems when I am near a butted seam. The bobbin thread seems to get stuck, or it just won’t move easily off the spot. If I raise the height of the foot, then skipped stitches are again the problem. Help!

1. Helen,
      could you set up a test piece of quilt, take of the ruler foot and run one of the regular quilting feet and see if there is any issue. This will help us know if it is a machine issue or we need to work more on your ruler foot adjustment.

28. angela sutton says:

hello i have just bought the JUKI 2200 TL mini it is skipping stitches and thread breaking when am free style sewing can you advise

1. Hi Angela,
      It sounds like the quilting foot is too high. Please lower it slightly and see if the skipped stitches go away.

29. Daria says:

Sometimes that happens to me if I don’t have my “thread telescope thing” (technical term…lol) high enough.

30. Mary Williams says:

Karen, I have a JUKI TL 2010Q and am having problems with the bobbin winder. I’ll wind two or three bobbins, then it stops will will not wind any more. It makes a “whirring” sound, but nothing spins. Several days will pass without using the machine, and the winder works fine. Any suggestions?

1. Mary, Sounds like it should be looked at by a Juki Dealer.

31. Leanna Chase says:

I was recently at Road to California and heard there may be some intensive training for the sit down long arm coming to California. Has that been scheduled? Where do I stay informed about that possibility?

1. Leanna, Once we book training It will be posted here on the Blog.

32. Rachel says:

Hi there, My machine is pretty new and was working fine until now. It seems the thread tension is too tight and it’s hard to pull the thread through the machine. It also keeps pinging back when I am sewing. I have changed the tension to every setting there is and it hasn’t changed it at all. When it works the stitches are just fine, no bunching or anything. Just frustrating having to re thread the machine every couple of minutes. Help. Thanks Rachel

1. Rachel, Can you tell me which machine?

33. Bette says:

I have a 2 week old Juki 2010 and would like to know the correct tensions to use for machine quilting using the walking foot. Thank you. Bette

1. Hi Bette,

I usually run my tension at about 1 1/2. I also raise my foot pressure to the 2nd mark.

34. Wendy says:

I have a TL-2010Q. When I push the thread-cutter button, my machine keeps running. Also, the machine keeps running after I lift my foot from the pedal. This problem just started. I cleaned and oiled. Any ideas???? Thank you!

1. Wendy, I would take you machine to a local dealer. This may have something to do with the foot pedal?

35. Christine says:

Oops. That should say “sewing machine cover”…

1. Hi Christine, Don’t have a pattern, maybe that need to be something our education team creates.

36. Kelly Rowland says:

i would love to put my 2200 mini on a frame. Is there one anyone would highly recommend? I don’t even know where to start. thanks in advance!! kelly

1. Hi Kelly,
      I would contact the Grace Frame Company. They make the frame and electronics for our Longarm and are very familiar with working the the Mini.

Karen

37. My Juki 2000 seems to have a mind of its own. It started very suddenly and now when I push the pedal, it sews very quickly for about 4”, then stops. Any clue what might be causing it? If I push the thread snip button, the needle breaks as well.

1. Hi Jen,
      This sounds like you should take it to your local dealer for a check-up

38. Daria Taylor says:

I have a 2200 QVP mini. My son’s dog just chewed on the cord on the foot pedal and severed the wire. My hubby tried to repair it by so,daring the wire…but it still doesn’t work.

Am I able to order a new wire or foot pedal? Or what suggestions do you have?

1. You can locate your closest dealer at http://www.jukihome.com. They can order a new part for you.

39. I have a Juki tl-2010 and am having the WORST time with skipped stitches when free motion quilting. It will skip 10 at a time, consistently. I’ve changed needles, and tried Sharps, topstitch needles, and every size from a 10 to a 16. I’ve lowered the tension and also adjusted the pressure. Rethreaded and reinserted the bobbin, tried a Magic Bobbin Genie, tried different threads, different fabrics, and the problem is still there. I generally use Aurifil 50wt. cotton. It was even skipping stitches when I was sewing on the binding – just a straight stitch. I just bought the machine in October. What else can I try to remedy this?

1. If it is also skipping while sewing straight I would take it to your local dealer and have them check it. It could be out of timing.

40. Holly Carrillo says:

I have a Juki 220 QVP. The machine turns on, but the foot pedal will not operate the machine. there seems to be also a calibration problem with the digital screen? Sometimes the handle lights come on and sometimes they do not. Ive checked the settings, turned off and turned on, it still wont work for me. I was able to stitch about 10 inches and then, when was ready to change direction, foot pedal wont make machine go. needle up/down not responding. So frustrating, I have only sewn a few hours on this machine. 😦

1. Holly, This sounds like it could be an electronic issue. please contact Grace 800 264 0644

41. Lynda says:

Hi,
    I have a juki f600. I LOVE this machine. My husband bought it for me as a gift about 3 years ago. I was learning to sew on it and did several rag quilts and one king size quilt. I am not experienced enough to know if something is wrong. A year and a half ago my husband had a massive heart attack and bilateral stroke. Needless to say our lives went on hold. My machine has been packed away and I just got it out the begnining of Dec. watched youtube videos to relearn how to use it. For Christmas I made several things. I decided since it had never been serviced I would take it to a local shop and have it cleaned and serviced. He asked me if I was having any problems. I said not really but it does make s clunking noise when I sew and my friend thought maybe it was out of line. When I picked it up he said its am amazing machine and worked great. Then he said where did you get that walking foot from. I said it came with the machine. He said that is your problem, it doesn’t work right with your machine. I told my friend and she said a lot of people had issues and juki replaced their walking foot. Do you work for juki? Is there anything I can do? I am pretty sure I registred the warranty with then back when I got it. I don’t know how to find that info though.
    Thanks
    Lynda

1. Lynda, Have you contacted the dealer in which you made your purchase? They should be able to answer your questions.

42. HI,
    Do double check it is your needle and not the foot. If so I would return for help from my dealer

43. Sara,
    Where do you live? I can help find a dealer for you.

44. Betty Ross says:

My thread cutter has stopped working. What could the problem be? I have cleaned oiled and pulled thread out and reinserted the bobbin many times and it still won’t cut.

45. Nits Williams says:

My, less than 1 1/2 yr. old TL2010Q is frozen up. Checked everything suggested and cannot get it going. The hand wheel will not even turn – any suggestions?

1. Hi,
      Sorry, but this would not be something I can handle on the blog. Please visit your local dealer.

46. Carolyn says:

Hi! Please, what is the difference between the MCS-1700QVP and the MCS-1500 coverstitch machines? Thank you.

1. Hi Carolyn,
      The MCS-1700 QVP has all the same features at the 1500. You do receive an additional Hem Guide with this machine.

47. Stephanie says:

Hi Karen, I have a funky problem with my upper tension. It starts running fine and then will intermittently tighten on it’s own for a few inches, pulling the bobbin thread to the top and looking terrible, and then it will go back to normal for a bit. I tried stopping the machine and manually pulling the upper thread through the needle and darn if it suddenly got really tight – and then loosened after a few inches of pulling it through. What could be wrong? The quilting looks inconsistent and bad . . . (BTW, I tried changing to a new needle, and am using a SoFine thread I have used successfully in the past.Fabric and batting is also consistent with what I have used prior.)

1. Stephanie,
      I would check that the tension guides are clean. I would also check that the thread is not getting caught anywhere, I had a spool that worked find for a while and then it started hanging up on the spool itself.

2. Stephanie says:

Hi Karen, thank you for responding. I tried re-threading and also blew out the tension guide with canned air in case something was stuck in there. Is there anything else I can do? I even considered dental floss to make sure it is clear – but don’t know if that would be a bad idea. I need to get this working!

1. Stephanie,
        You could use dental floss gently to insure the tension guide is clear.

48. Beth Gagnon says:

I have a Juki TL 2200QVP Mini. Machine was working fine last week when I sewed a binding onto a quilted table runner. Am ready to piece a quilt today, and tension is off. In addition, the thread cutter is also off. When I cut, the needle thread flies up and out of the needle; and the bobbin thread is cut too short to even thread the machine again. Seems to be a huge amount of tension on the needle thread, even with tension at 1. Tried loosening the top tension thing as well. I love this machine when it works right. Can you help me? Thanks.

1. Beth, It sounds like it would be a good idea to have your machined check by your local dealer.

49. Using the Juki ruler foot for the first time. Having problems with skipped stitches when free motion quilting diagonals or away from me. I had used the quilting foot that came with the machine with no issues. Sad to say I did mess with the bobbin case tension so I don’t know if I messed up something there. Tested a couple of threads and only the one from Joann’s makes the process tolerable. DH thinks the thread shouldn’t make a difference and that I need to take the machine in to be looked at.

1. Linda,
      It is possible the foot is too high, this can cause it to skip stitches.
      Put the ruler on the left side of the foot, place the needle in down position and put the foot as low as you can have it so it is snugly against the ruler.
      Tension can cause a bad looking stitch but not usually a skipped stitch. You are using a ruler base, correct?

50. I’m doing free motion quilting on my 2010 using Isacord thread. I’m switching between two colors (same brand) and also bobbins (same thread top and bottom) so the colors match top and bottom. One color is perfect but when I but the other color in the top looks great but it’s obvious the tension on the bottom is not good. It’s not being pulled up. Laying on the fabric.In most cases I would tighten up the top tension but I was breaking sooo much thread and then a needle. I set it to 1.5 like you suggested and that really helped the break issues and no breaking needles. Long time sewer and customized embroider so I understand tension. This has got me scratching my head. I can’t reset my tension every time I change bobbins and thread. That would be beyond annoying! I do have a TOWA gauge. What should my bobbin case be set to? My next thought is a bad bobbin. But HEY! I’m not breaking thread every three inches any more!!